Re: GNOME 2 tasks

On Sun, 2001-09-30 at 23:27, John Fleck wrote:
> Folks -
>
> With GNOME 2 looming, I'm trying to get a handle on the jobs that need
> doing. The list below, developed after discussion with a number of
> people, tries to codify who's doing what now on the GNOME
> Documentation Project, and what additional jobs need a volunteer.
Where could I find the schedule for GNOME 2 ? so I can get and idea of
the deadlines ..

> I'm open to suggestions - things to be added, or things on here that
> we can live without. Obviously, I'm also looking for volunteers.

> gnome-db2html3 - Patanjali Somayaji
>     Develop the SGML/XML->HTML engine used to convert our docs on the
>     fly for help browser display
Thought I'd just go into this a little further so everyone can suggest
improvements / other ideas etc.

1. get support for sections into the xsl stylesheets so that just giving
the document name outputs a table of contents with correct links.

2. given a section name, properly output that section of the doc, again
with the right links.

3. Caching issues (this is not a priority for the GNOME 2 release, right
?)

4. making gnome-db2html3 an independent app (doing this would also be
better after the GNOME 2 release ?)

> XML conversion - Greg Leblanc
>     Figure out the steps needed to convert our docs to XML and write
>     up a how-to. Set up and test the standard app build system to be
>     used with XML.
Just a thought - would it be possible to use gnome-db2html3 and some
other stylesheets
to convert documents from sgml to xml (the same way we output html -
based on my study of XSL, i think its possible ... )

> GDP webmaster - Volunteer needed
>     Keep the GDP web page up to date as we tackle this stuff.
I could help out here ... i've designed and have been maintaining the
Pune Linux User's Group (www.plug.org.in) site for a while, so I'm sort
of familiar with maintaining webpages ...

thanks, any suggestions on gnome-db2html3 are most welcome,
patanjali