GNOME 2 tasks

Folks -

With GNOME 2 looming, I'm trying to get a handle on the jobs that need
doing. The list below, developed after discussion with a number of
people, tries to codify who's doing what now on the GNOME
Documentation Project, and what additional jobs need a volunteer.

I'm open to suggestions - things to be added, or things on here that
we can live without. Obviously, I'm also looking for volunteers.

Cheers,

John

gnome-db2html3 - Patanjali Somayaji
    Develop the SGML/XML->HTML engine used to convert our docs on the
    fly for help browser display

XML conversion - Greg Leblanc
    Figure out the steps needed to convert our docs to XML and write
    up a how-to. Set up and test the standard app build system to be
    used with XML.

Coordinate with Sun - John Fleck, Dan Mueth, Pat Costello
    Coordinate with the Sun docs team so we take maximum advantage of
    the docs they will be contributing to the community, make sure our
    tools work as much as possible the way they need them to.

Style Guide - Pat Costello, John Fleck
    Manage the Style Guide as additional bits are added, and as people
    start actually using it.

Editing and Review - John Fleck
    Set up an editing and review process so the GNOME 2.0
    documentation matches the conventions of the Style Guide.

i18n - Volunteer needed
    Coordinate with the translation community to make sure as many docs
    as possible are translated.

DocTable - Greg Leblanc
    Look into setting up a new DocTable to help manage the process

API - Jonathan Blandford
    Define and write the GNOME 2.0 help API

ScrollKeeper - Dan Mueth
    Work with the ScrollKeeper and help browser development groups to
    make sure our help browser(s) take full advantage of
    ScrollKeeper's features, and that our docs and doc packaging play
    nicely with ScrollKeeper.

API Docs - John Fleck
    Hassle developers to make sure all the GNOME 2.0 libraries are
    documented early, along with a Transition Doc for 1.x-2.0 porting

QA - Volunteer needed
    Do we want to try to set up a formal QA process for docs again
    this time? This overlaps with the review/editing process, and with
    the "package herders" noted below, so perhaps this is not needed.

GDP webmaster - Volunteer needed
    Keep the GDP web page up to date as we tackle this stuff.

gnome-user-docs - Dan Mueth
    Review status of docs in gnome-user-docs package, determine what
    needs to be updated and make sure it gets done. (This person does
    not need to maintain each doc. He/she only needs to make sure
    someone is.)

Nautilus - Volunteer needed
    Somebody needs to keep an eye on Nautilus since it is our official
    help browser. We need to make sure it continues to work well in
    this role. Whoever does this needs to communicate with the other
    help browser groups, because, for now at least, all of the
    converters (man, info and DocBook) live in Nautilus.

Context Sensitive Help - Volunteer needed
    Somebody needs to see where this code is, if it works, and how it
    is used.

release coordination - John Fleck
    Coordinate docs issues with the GNOME 2 release team.

Packages:

We need someone to ride herd over the docs for each of
the main packages in GNOME 2.0, to make sure documentation work is
coordinated with the developers and translators, that the review and
QA processes are completed, and that the work gets done on time.

gnome-core - Volunteer needed
gnome-applets - Volunteer needed
gnome-games - Volunteer needed
gnome-utils - John Fleck