Re: Help API for GNOME 2.0

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:53:58PM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> John Fleck wrote:
>
> > Whichever solution we adopt, the xml/sgml rendering thingie will
> > generate html, so for the final step the browser will have html to
> > display, whether it's based on a static html file or dynamically
> > generated from sgml/xml. Will that be sufficient to address the
> > accessibility you're raising?

[snip]

> Anyway, provided those browsers have access to the help files in a
> format that the GtkHTML2 widget can display whenever necessary, I assume
> there shouldn't be a problem.  But if this means the browsers themselves
> have to spot the SGML files and convert them to HTML on demand, then we
> do need to work with the maintainers to ensure there's at least one
> otherwise-accessible browser for GNOME that does so, whether it's
> Nautilus, Galeon, Encompass, or something else.

No, the browser should not have to spot the sgml and handle the
conversion. gnome-db2html3 and the help functions will take care of
that.

Meeting the accessibility needs does seem like something we must
do. Let's make sure this doesn't drop off of our radar.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/