Re: Help API for GNOME 2.0

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:53:57AM +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> Dan Mueth wrote:
>
> > So, I'm going to start assuming that Nautilus will work alright on Solaris
> > as our help browser and forget about the need for an HTML-only help
> > browser unless people start making a lot of noise.
>
> I guess there's a possible accessibility issue here... I don't know if
> we have a commitment from anyone yet to make the help browser in
> Nautilus accessible in time for 2.0 (or even if it's possible in that
> time frame, if it relies on Mozilla in any way-- does it?)
>
> On the other hand, we could potentially have a GtkHTML2-based accessible
> browser in time for GNOME 2.0, at least if Anders' enthusiasm for making
> GtkHTML2 accessible is maintained :o) So if there's no HTML-format help
> available in 2.0, it could potentially mean we're depriving the product
> of any accessible online documentation.

If I understand you correctly, I think this is a solvable problem.

Whichever solution we adopt, the xml/sgml rendering thingie will
generate html, so for the final step the browser will have html to
display, whether it's based on a static html file or dynamically
generated from sgml/xml. Will that be sufficient to address the
accessibility you're raising?

I think this is a very important issue for us to resolve
affirmatively.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck