Re: Style Guide update

Hello all,

Just to clarify a point - John's mail suggests that I am solely
responsible for the terms in the Style Guide Word List. Far from it!
There is a process by which terms are added to the Word List. There are
two stages to this process, as follows:

1. Members of the Sun GNOME documentation team, in the course of writing
the User Guide or online reference manuals, suggest new terms. The new
terms are discussed at weekly meetings of the Sun GNOME documentation
team. Agreement on the term and the usage of the term is reached.

2. Periodically (about once a month), I pass a batch of new terms to the
GNOME Style team for review and agreement. When the GNOME Style team are
happy with the terms, I add them to the Style Guide. The GNOME Style
team is Pat Costello, John Fleck, and Sasha Kirillov.

Eugene

Folks -

Eugene O'Connor has made some significant additions to the GNOME
Documentation Style Guide:

* Added new terms to wordlist as follows:
  - Desktop Interface Terms: autocomplete, autohide, autoindent, Desktop
Background menu, desktop background object, flip, keymap, layer,
persistent window group, shade hover, stacking order, staggered, window
list icon, window name, workspace list.
  - General Computer Terms: Alt, current workspace, current viewport,
Esc, keystroke, Meta, meta key, modifier key, native workspace, native
viewport, Nautilus link, pointer, Shift, shortcut, shortcut key.

* Modified following wordlist terms:
  - Desktop Interface Terms: desktop, desktop background, minimize,
window list, workspace.
  - General Computer Terms:  Modifier, Tab.

* Deleted following wordlist terms:
  - Desktop Interface Terms: File Manager menu (replaced with Desktop
Background menu), Open Windows menu (replaced with window list icon).

You can find it here:
http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/

Special thanks to Greg Leblanc for sorting out a nasty build issue on
the d.g.o machine.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck