Re: themes for GNOME2 docs

Dan et al,

Personally, I don't think we should be looking at the technicalities of making
drop-shadows easy to apply to screenshots or not. I think we should be looking
at the justification for using drop-shadows on screenshots in the first place,
and then looking at the technicalities. For example, is there a serious
usability requirement for drop-shadows on screenshots? Does drop-shadow on the
screenshot impart extra, useful technical information to the end-user reading
the online or printed documentation? Maybe there is a beneficial usability
reason for drop-shadows on GNOME screenshots, which someone can tell us about.

My own view is that:

- Screenshots should appear as close as possible to what the user really sees
on-screen. There are no drop-shadows around windows on-screen, so what is the
justification for adding them to screenshots in documentation?

- Drop-shadows as pure decoration please some people. Others may see such
decoration as an attempt to glamorize a dull topic, and therefore suspect.

- Any non-essential visual or textual information can distract a user, or even
confuse a user.

- From my own experience, there is a useful place for drop-shadows in
line-drawings and logos. For example, block diagrams can benefit greatly from
the carefully-applied use of drop-shadow to differentiate different categories
of information block. If we use drop-shadows for screenshots then we dilute the
effect of drop-shadows in places where there is a genuine usability requirement.

- Many icons in the GNOME UI use drop-shadows. We will want to include
screenshots of these icons in the documentations. If we add drop-shadows to the
screenshot, we risk invalidating the real drop-shadow on the UI icon. Could be
confusing, and in this instance not at all pleasing to the eye.

To sum up, every component of information design, whether textual or visual,
should play a role in communicating concepts to the user. If a specific
component does not convey a concept, or part of a concept, then the presence of
the component only adds to the processing burden for the user, without bringing
a piece of understanding. Essentially, decorative components reduce
communication effectiveness.

Pat