Re: Style guide feedback

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:09:30AM -0500, Trevor Curtis wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:52:02PM -0800, Malcolm Tredinnick offered:
> > > So in laymen's terms, how should we look at these menu
> > > bar/menu-bar/menubar, color/colour debates?
> >
> > No! Please, let's just decide that there's no unique correct answer and
> > get on with writing the documentation. We've had these discussions
> > numerous times before. What makes people think that this time we will
> > all suddenly start agreeing? (Sorry; I find this really frustrating and
> > futile.)
>
> (I recall only one such thread, but in that respect I guess I'm new so my
> appologies.)

Sorry .. I'm just venting. :(

> > > I'm starting to think that it would be best to write up all our docs in
> > > Latin and then provide an online Latin->English dictionary.
> >
> > Which is why I think these debates are often so pointless ... English
> > evolved, it was not designed and it is not even internally consistent
> > amongst even educated speakers within the same country. So we need to
> > just make a decision and be consistent within our own documents, as
> > others have said.
>
> But I thought you just said there isn't a correct answer?

No, no, .. the problem is that there are too many correct answers.
Almost everything said in these threads is/was correct at some point. We
just need to pick one. This year, preferably.

> I think adopting the US english sounds cool. I guess I missed that part
> in the style guide.

I went looking for these recommendations just now and realised they were
fairly well hidden.  Look at

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/technicaldetails.html

and scroll down to the "Grammar" and "Spelling" entries.

Pat, John, somebody? Can we move those two items also be displayed
somewhere prominently near the front of the document (maybe in the
"Documentation for an International Audience" section)? They would seem
to be fairly important and a bit more invasive to the entire document
than some of the other points in that section.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.