Re: Gnome Help Browser

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 07:45:19AM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 10:49:42PM -0400, Matthew Colyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	My name is Matt and I have helped a little bit in the past with
> > Screem code and documentation. I am no expert coder or documenter but I
> > would be willing to work on a help browser that works on older machines. I
> > can not stand Nautilus it doesn't even render my home directory completely
> > at the moment. ( I do not mean to bash the Nautilus folks for writing this
> > code. It really is feature rich but some of us just don't have the
> > computing power to run it. ) What all would writing the new Gnome Help
> > Browser entail doing?
> >

> Take a look at what Rodney Dawes is doing with Encompass:
> http://encompass.sourceforge.net/
>
> He is adding GNOME Help Browser functionality. Encompass uses gtkhtml
> and is considerably lighter on its feet than Mozilla.
>
> You can also find Rodney around on #docs frequently ("dobey").

  I don't understand why not using gtkhtml2 for this. gtkhtml is s simpler
rendering widget but maybe gtkhtml2 would help us building a better doc
system, it also reuse libxml for all the core parsing stuff and should be
quite easier to upgrade to XHTML for example. In that case I think we should
shoot to something more powerful and esier to upgrade in the long term.

Daniel