Re: GNOME vs. Gnome

> Pat Costello - Sun ireland - Desktop Systems - Tech writer wrote:
>
> - Common usage defines standard usage defines correct usage.

8<

> - The desktop is deliberately associated with small, hairy proto-men of
> indeterminate age and habits, witness the footprint icon in the Panel.

I see no pictures of kernel hackers on my desktop... (I say, fully aware
that many a kernel hacker would 'dwarf' me quite easily)

;)

> - Gnome, as both a word and concept, has grown in stature. We should
> welcome Gnome as such and afford it the trappings of maturity, leaving behind
> its acronymonic genesis.

8<

> Let's recognize that transition and establish our convention
> accordingly.

I fully agree with these points - GNOME, whilst still holding some meaning
as anacronym, is going to look rather silly after a while.

For example, in the following linked article, the author refers to the
INTERNET, not the Internet, but thankfully not the hopelessly incorrect
internet.

  http://www.linuxnews.com/stories.php?story=350

Read it. Looks silly, and I find it hard to take what he says without a
pinch of salt because of it -> nothing at all to do with the content.

- Jeff

btw. I read your other email, and I for one am very pleased to see the Sun
Documentation Shock Troops joining us in our quest. :) Welcome!

-- jdub aphid net ----------------------------------- http://slug.org.au/ --

        Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so
                     cold of heart as never to express it.