Re: GNOME vs. Gnome

Hello Gnomes,

If I haven't been in touch with any of you yet, my name is Pat Costello, one of
the contributors to the Gnome Documentation Project on behalf of Sun
Microsystems. My two euros worth (which is a lot less than two cents these days)
is that we should use Gnome, initial cap plus rest lower case. My reasoning is
as follows:

- Common usage defines standard usage defines correct usage. If the press,
especially the technical and trade press are using Gnome, then GNOME sticks out
like a sore THUMB. And, eventually, GNOME will be perceived by all and sundry as
plain, old-fashioned wrong. We should anticipate and indeed establish the trend,
not defend a technically-correct but untenable position.

- The desktop is deliberately associated with small, hairy proto-men of
indeterminate age and habits, witness the footprint icon in the Panel. This is
not the footprint of a GNOME, is it? We are implicitly using Gnome as a concept
for the desktop, and hence as a real word, rather than an acronym, whenever we
use the footprint icon.

- Following on from the above reasoning, we are also using Gnome as a real-world
adjective when we talk about Gnome applications, or Gnome icons, or Gnome
anything. Gnome, as both a word and concept, has grown in stature. We should
welcome Gnome as such and afford it the trappings of maturity, leaving behind
its acronymonic genesis.

- As previous correspondents pointed out English has a recognized tendency to
upgrade cobbled-together words, whether hyphenated (e-mail) or created from
acronyms (LASER), into standalone words obeying normal grammer rules. There are
of course exceptions, where the word remains acronymified and uppercased
indefinitely. In these cases, however, I would suggest that there are usually
overriding technical or political reasons why the transition has not taken
place, for example the user needs to be regularly reminded about the underlying
acronym definition, witness SCSI, or RAM, or OPEC for that matter. Forget the
underlying meaning of OPEC at your own peril, oh ye gas-guzzlers of the world!
There is no need for users to remember the underlying meaning of the original
GNOME acronym, therefore the way is clear for a smooth and inevitable transition
to Gnome, as predicated by the inexorable, and wholly unstopple workings of the
English language. Let's recognize that transition and establish our convention
accordingly.

Quad erat demonstrandum...

All the best,

Pat