Re: [Fwd: Re: Licenses]

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 08:36:54PM -0600, Eric Baudais wrote:

> Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:13:36 -0700
> From: John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net>
> Subject: Re: Licenses
> To: Dan Mueth <d-mueth uchicago edu>
> Cc: Eric Baudais <baudais okstate edu>, Kenny Graunke <kwg teleport com>
>
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 02:19:39AM -0600, Dan Mueth wrote:
> >
> > Eric and John,
> >
> > Kenny and I tried putting the licensing information on the web tonight.
> > It is at:
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/licenses.html
> >
> > We tried to give everything a person needs.  This is:
> >
> > 1) GPL and FDL as entities - for web documents primarily
> >
> > 2) GPL and FDL as articles - this will be installed by gnome-core, but
> > some people may want them (eg. non-GNOME packages)
> >
> > 3) COPYING-DOCS - this is the text version of the FDL which people must
> > include in each package
> >
> > 4) legalnotices - We need 2 of them, which vary depending on whether the
> > FDL is an entity(appendix) or an external doc.
>
> This all looks great, but has anyone tested including this as a
> linkend to an appendix in Nautilus? I expect that it will work, but
> haven't tested it yet.

This is something we need done badly.  If someone has a hour free sometime,
they could test the appendix and legalnotice versions of the FDL and GPL.
My deepest thanks to anyone stepping up and helping out.

> > A few things to point out:
> >
> > John - I modified the legalnotice section a bit compared to what you have
> > in your 1.4 doc.  I basically got rid of the FSF address.  This seems to
> > now be in better accord with the recommended use of the FDL on their web
> > page.  Is this okay with you?  If so, we should update the 1.4 web
> > page.  Otherwise we should discuss it and possibly update this web page.
> >

> I updated the changes.sgml and changes web page accordingly. This looks
> fine to me. Ali will be happy - one less place to deal with the
> annoying address tag problem. :)
>
> Also, has/should the gpd handbook been/be updated to reflect this?
> Also, what about template updates? Has anyone volunteered yet to
> handle that?

Before we change the Handbook and templates they need to be tested on our
existing help system and with Nautilus' help system.

Also, is there any more licenses that we need to markup?  If there are
I'd be mroe than willing to do them.

Eric Baudais