[Fwd: Re: Licenses]

--- Begin Message ---
(Bringing Gregory into the discussion...)

(more below)

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, John Fleck wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 02:19:39AM -0600, Dan Mueth wrote:
> >
> > Eric and John,
> >
> > Kenny and I tried putting the licensing information on the web tonight.
> > It is at:
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/licenses.html
> >
> > We tried to give everything a person needs.  This is:
> >
> > 1) GPL and FDL as entities - for web documents primarily
> >
> > 2) GPL and FDL as articles - this will be installed by gnome-core, but
> > some people may want them (eg. non-GNOME packages)
> >
> > 3) COPYING-DOCS - this is the text version of the FDL which people must
> > include in each package
> >
> > 4) legalnotices - We need 2 of them, which vary depending on whether the
> > FDL is an entity(appendix) or an external doc.
>
> This all looks great, but has anyone tested including this as a
> linkend to an appendix in Nautilus? I expect that it will work, but
> haven't tested it yet.

No.  It would be great if somebody wants to test the legalnotices out and
make sure the links are good.  I did some of it at 2AM without testing it
:(

> > A few things to point out:
> >
> > John - I modified the legalnotice section a bit compared to what you have
> > in your 1.4 doc.  I basically got rid of the FSF address.  This seems to
> > now be in better accord with the recommended use of the FDL on their web
> > page.  Is this okay with you?  If so, we should update the 1.4 web
> > page.  Otherwise we should discuss it and possibly update this web page.
> >

> I updated the changes.sgml and changes web page accordingly. This looks
> fine to me. Ali will be happy - one less place to deal with the
> annoying address tag problem. :)

:)

> Also, has/should the gpd handbook been/be updated to reflect this?
> Also, what about template updates? Has anyone volunteered yet to
> handle that?

If we all agree with this, we should put it into the Handbook and
templates.  I can do the Handbook.  Who wants to update the templates?

> Does Greg Leblanc know about the legalnotice changes?

I'm now cc'ing him.

> /me remembers that he needs to add a brief discussion of Nautilus/1.4
> to the handbook.

:)

If we all agree here, which it sounds like we do, then we should (1) test
it, (2) improve the web page to be a bit less confusing, and (3) announce
it on gnome-doc-list.

Dan

--- End Message ---