[Fwd: Licenses]

--- Begin Message ---
Eric and John,

Kenny and I tried putting the licensing information on the web tonight.
It is at:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/licenses.html

We tried to give everything a person needs.  This is:

1) GPL and FDL as entities - for web documents primarily

2) GPL and FDL as articles - this will be installed by gnome-core, but
some people may want them (eg. non-GNOME packages)

3) COPYING-DOCS - this is the text version of the FDL which people must
include in each package

4) legalnotices - We need 2 of them, which vary depending on whether the
FDL is an entity(appendix) or an external doc.

A few things to point out:

John - I modified the legalnotice section a bit compared to what you have
in your 1.4 doc.  I basically got rid of the FSF address.  This seems to
now be in better accord with the recommended use of the FDL on their web
page.  Is this okay with you?  If so, we should update the 1.4 web
page.  Otherwise we should discuss it and possibly update this web page.

Eric - There is some confusion from naming the entity/appendix and article
versions of the licenses the same name (fdl.sgml and gpl.sgml).  So, I
propose that the entity/appendix versions in gnome-docu/gdp/ are named
fdl-appendix.sgml and gpl-appendix.sgml.  Is this okay with you?  We used
this on the web page we just made.  If it is okay, we can have jrb use
root cvs access to rename them in gnome-docu/gdp/ without losing the logs.

Please look over this page and tell me what you think.  It is late now
(2:15AM) and Kenny and I are both tired, so I'm sure we let some bugs get
through.  In fact, I haven't even tested these legalnotices :(  Plus I
suspect some of the text on the page is confusing and can be substantially
improved.

Dan

--- End Message ---