Re: GNU FDL

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 10:24:13PM -0500 or thereabouts, Nils Barth wrote:
> Thus spake Dan Mueth:
> The FDL seems fine. The GNU people put a lot of work into it, making
> sure it kept the same spirit as the GPL while addressing issues
> specific to hard copy publishing.
> It seems great for the GDP.
>
> For those of us who didn't make it to GUADEC, could someone write a
> digest of what people liked and didn't like about the FDL?
>   -nils

(a) It's the GNU one and the G in GNOME stands for GNU. Simple as that!
I should say that I also like the Open Content Licence, too. But it makes
sense that GNOME uses this.
(b) Doesn't stop people selling stuff, but makes sure that it's freely
available too.
(c) It looks like despite all the "do this, change that," etc stuff,
most of the things in there are in there for a reason.

Minus points might be the complexity that the modified version stuff
will mean for translations: that looks a pain in the neck to do the
first time, although I imagine that once a few such are out there,
then it will be pretty easy to find examples of how to do it for your
language by copying things that have been done for other languages.

Telsa