re mouse buttons

On 13 Mar 2000, Alexander Kirillov wrote:

> Well, I would be against the idea of using "mouse button 1". Not just
> because "most users have standard mouse mapping". More importantly,
> everyone who has non-standrad mouse mapping
> (stylos/trackball/left-hand...) knows how to translate which trackball
> mouse is "right" and which is "left", so these names may be
> meaningless, but definitely understandable for them. Or am I wrong?

I agree with Sasha here. There's a standard arrangement, and that's where
most beginners will dwell. Those not living in that standard will know how
to translate.

The users guide sticks to the left-right-middle distinction, with a quick
explanation of the left+right=middle for folks without a middle button
(apparently the other most common setup?).
quickstart.html:
"GNOME follows several UNIX conventions you should be aware of. The left
mouse button is used to select and drag items. The right mouse button
brings up a menu for the selected object (if a menu applies). Most UNIX
mice have 3 buttons, and the middle button is used to paste text (if in a
text area) or to move things. If you only have two buttons, press the left
and right buttons simultaneously to simulate the middle button. To copy
text, use the left button to drag across the text you want to copy, move to
theplace you want the text to be, and press the middle button."

I think this suggests an OK approach worth sticking to. I don't seem to see
a lot of "which mouse button do I use?" questions on the lists.

Cheers,

--
John Fleck
jfleck@inkstain.net