Re: Python Tutorial 2.0

Wrote David C. Mason on Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 03:48:42PM -0400:
> Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> writes:
>
> > Not to be too critical, but what do you think IS the right approach?
> >	Greg
>
> Not critical at all - its a great question, and if I had the answer I
> might be very popular in the community. I think first of all - and
> some people won't like this... its the job of the
> distributions.. thats the whole idea of taking open source into the
> business place, value added services. Distributions need to provide
> good docs that deal with their releases. If someone chooses to use one
> that has no docs - or download one and not download the docs it is
> their choice... and problem.

Eek!

The role of the distributions is very hazy. In my mind they can do
whatever they want - they can distribute a kernel that bears only
passing resemblance to Linus' one, they can write a whole new
configuration system, they can document their whole system in concise,
understandable documentation.

Distributions can document their distribution and the software contained
inside it. They can improve the software inside the distribution to make
it better for their "target market".

But we need excellent docs that are distribution neutral, that document
the difficult concepts and operations of the GNU/Linux system. The LDP
may be doing a terrible job at the moment, but that is no reason for it
not to try. And that is no reason to not encourage other people to
contribute to the LDP where appropriate and not the GDP.

Surely the GDP would use LDP docs to explain concepts and systems that
are outside of Gnome yet still involved as long as these documents are
good enough?

Documentation is surely something for RedHat/SuSE to grab after as a
place to differentiate from other distros but I'll personally be trying
my darndest to make the LDP documentation and the individual program
documentation as good as possible. So that all RedHat need to do is
document the RedHat specific systems and integrate the other available
documentation.

We have free documentation, why not share it and encourage code reuse.
If there isn't an excellent description of the operation of PPP in Linux
then help the LDP write a good one then document the Gnome specifics
parts such as GnomePPP as part of the GDP. Then integrate.

The GDP documenting Gnome, the LDP documenting wider concepts such as
the operation of X, kernel hacking, CD writing options etc.

> These are *all* a part of our desktop - we can no longer separate
> ourselves from others who are, in essence, trying to reach the same
> goal - [close to] perfect usability.

So lets work together - dividing up parts of the huge task and sharing
tools to get it done.

Chuck