Style Issues for 2.0

Hey yall,

I've been thinking about style issues lately, perhaps because while i
exercise i've been reading the complimentary copies of Maxim and GQ that
people leave in the gym.  I'd like to include a little more stuff about
style in the GDP handbook, and I was wondering if other people could
give me some input on that.
One of the reasons i've been thinking about it, aside from the trashy
magazines, is that I printed out the entire GUG the other day, and it's
big and fat and that makes me happy.
But looking through it, I began thinking... every app has a section that
describes the menu bar.  Every single app and applet.  And for the most
part, those apps and applets have very similar things in the menu bar--
file, edit, copy, cut, past, etc.  I think maybe in this future GHB2.0
we keep dreaming of, we could put all the repeated stuff into one sort
of UI-describing section, or at least de-emphasize the menu section in
the docs we have.

That would move the docs we have and continue to maintain more towards a
task-based guide, rather than a UI-based reference.  Combined with that
great index we keep thinking of, we'd end up with a GHB2 root page that
points to:

1)the LDP docs, man pages, etc.
2) the GNOME docs:
a) Index-by-task, any other indexes, or something.
b)GNOME Quick Start (i'm thinking of a few pages introducing GNOME),
c) the little "New to Linux? Switching from Win? from Mac?" sort of
section we've been bandying about lately.
d) etc

So, that's basically:
a) everybody knows we need an index
b) what do you all think about moving to more task-based documentation,
with the caveat that we add other things to take up the slack
c) would it be ok for me to do some more work on the GDP handbook, to
put in a style guide, and if so, what do you think should go in it?

cheers.

a.