Re: Python Tutorial 2.0

Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu> writes:

> I see the LDP as THE definitive resource for ALL Linux
> documentation.  For the documentation that's not specific to Linux,
> we ought to link to the original sources of that documentation.
> Since the LDP is completely informal, I don't see any reason that we
> can't have documents that cater to both the seasoned veteran, and to
> the total novice.  For example, there could be a Guru's Guide to
> Ethernet on Linux, which might go so far as to have tips and tricks
> from the guys who code Ethernet drivers, and there could be a
> Newbies Ethernet HOWTO, which takes them step-by-step on installing
> their Ethernet card, and testing to make sure that they've done it
> right.  I don't see any reason that we shouldn't share docs, and
> resources, that's why I'm subscribed to a dozen documentation lists.

I must disagree strongly here. LDP had a chance to be the definitive
Linux documentation area, but things changed since they started. One,
just because something works one way on one dist, it may not on
another - not their fault, and is a problem being worked on. Second,
they have *never* been well organized, refuse to move forward at the
right times with technology, and have since become more of what Alan
Cox calls an "information firehose".

The LDP is one of the most confusing things a new user can experience!
Try it sometime - get your Mom in front of a linux machine and give
her LDP docs as opposed to the docs that come with a dist... she will
make you eat your brussel sprouts.  OSWG has done a better job at
organizing, but both, to me are the wrong approach.

GNOME is not *just* for linux and that is the main reason I refused to
make the GDP a sub-set of the LDP long ago. We must *always* keep that
in mind, and if we are writing about pertinent "desktop" items,
functions, or features, we should keep it "in house" - otherwise we
lose all aspects of 'usability' with our documents.

The LDP did a wonderful job during their time - but for today, it is
not the right approach.

my $0.04

Dave