Re: Python Tutorial 2.0

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:15:00AM -0500 or thereabouts, battery841@mypad.com wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I was just thinking about how a lot of people say that Linux is
> so hard.  Yeah, it's harder than MacOS...we're trying to change that.
> So I was thinking about how we have these tutorials which we're starting
> to think about for GNOME 2.0.  I realize that these are GNOME apps which
> we're supporting, and by doing more, that's going to take much more
> manpower(woman power for Telsa and other females on the list ;).

:)

> I propose that we take the time to create some of those same tutorials
> for some tasks in Linux.  For example, setting up PPP/DSL/Cable.

I'm all for this, but I don't think it's a GDP issue. I know I'm not
the only person on this list who writes stuff here, subscribes to the
OSWG (Open Source Writers' Group) lists, reads the LDP stuff to see
what they have, and puts brief "works for me" notes on my website.

> That would include steps on how to configure your model/ethernet card,
> setting up DNS information, etc.  I know this is going to take a lot more
> work in the end, but I feel that it will bridge a large gap.

If this is specifically for people who are very new, you might want
to help the http://linuxnewbie.org folks by throwing them a few docs,
too.

> 	What does everyone think?

I love the idea, but I don't think it's a GNOME thing. I think the
closest thing would be to put "See also's" in the glossary that people
are putting together, with any relevant local or off-site links.

Telsa