Re: Python Tutorial 2.0

There are numbers of issues which have to be resolved in order for this task to
be undertaken.

This include:
	* Large numbers of different distributions / configurations (including
non-linux configurations)
	* There is almost always more than one way of doing a particular task

Personally i don't have a problem with the documentation itself, rather with
the lack of links to other documentation and websites available.

While there is a wide variety of documentation for linux (and other Unix
variations) available i do not believe that currently it is easy to find or access.

We should at some stage make a document which answers where to find
documentation on these basic configuration questions (how do i configure sound, how do i
connect to the internet, change the current time and date, set up printing, etc).
While i don't suggest we re-document all of linux - i believe we should provide
pointers to other documentation which exists which could be used in order to
answer these questions.

The only issue with this is that there is a variety of non standard tools, etc
which ship with the distributions. e.g Redhat ships with snd-config, Mandrake
ships with sound-config, etc... (As well as the fact that Gnome runs on Solaris,
etc)

A solution to this (like the Gnome F.A.Q) is to set up a table. For example:

How do i configure sound?

Distribution           Configuration Tool      Documentation on this tool
Redhat 6.X			snd-config 				<xref to relevant
documentation>
Mandrake 7.0			sound-config			<xref to
relevant documentation>
Solaris 			unknown					see Solaris documentation
for details

This does not have to be complex or involved - just simple pointers to where
users can find
	(a) which tool to use, if known. Is there a tool in Gnome which can be
used? Or is it elsewhere?
	(b) Pointers to available documentation on the use of this tool. - Not
trying to document it again.

Also i believe that there is not enough linking of external documentation
projects, such as the LDP, in Gnome - lots of users would have little awareness that
such documentation actually exists. It does not have to be a complex document -
but rather full of simple pointers to where users should first look for various
issues with their system. (This would at least prevent some people posting on
gnome-list about non-gnome related questions)

Also what websites are helpful to me sorting out various issues

// list the various websites available with documentation and information about
linux...

I am not proposing a new radical system or anything, but rather just giving the
user an idea of where to look for if they need help with their system.
Something from which users could start to have a better understanding of both Gnome and
linux.

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:15:00 you wrote:
> Hey guys,
> 	I was just thinking about how a lot of people say that Linux is so
hard.  Yeah, it's harder than MacOS...we're trying to change that.
> 	So I was thinking about how we have these tutorials which we're
starting to think about for GNOME 2.0.  I realize that these are GNOME apps which
we're supporting, and by doing more, that's going to take much more manpower(woman
power for Telsa and other females on the list ;).  I propose that we take the
time to create some of those same tutorials for some tasks in Linux.  For example,
setting up PPP/DSL/Cable.  That would include steps on how to configure your
model/ethernet card, setting up DNS information, etc.  I know this is going to
take a lot more work in the end, but I feel that it will bridge a large gap.
> 	Yes, I even thought about documentation fragmentation (ooo...that's
kinda fun to say...try saying it).  I think if we can make this in a format which
KDE can use their own front-end, and the same information as the backend as we
do, that will keep there from being 2 copies of the same information.
> 	I realize that the LDP exists...and I do respect and enjoy reading
the LDP.  We're not here to replace them.  We serve to two different groups here.
We're trying to make grandma be able to setup her information.  The LDP serves
more towards us, the geek.  Grandma doesn't know about the root DNS
servers...nor should she (why would she for setting up internet?  I don't know...but you get
my point).