Re: markup question

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:12:40PM -0500 or thereabouts, Dan Mueth wrote:

>>> Use the <interface> tag, as in your example.
>>
>> I vote for <guimenuitem>.  The TDG (p. 293) says: "This element became
>> obsolete in DocBook V3.0 with the introduction of GUIButton, ..."
>
> I never noticed this.  We have been using <interface> widely to mark up
> the Panel, dialog windows, and main application windows. It is used this
> way in all the templates and is recommended to be used as such in the GDP
> Handbook. Strangely, TDG lists "GUIButton, GUIIcon, GUILabel, GUIMenu,
> GUIMenuItem, and GUISubMenu" as obsoleting <interface>, although none of
> these seem suitable for describing the Panel, a dialog window, or an
> application window.
>
> Does anybody know of another tag which can be used in these cases?

We chewed over this on #docs for ages a few months back. <interface>
is a bit naughty: not only was it replaced/expanded by the various
<guithing> tags, it doesn't really fit, for panels or dialogue boxes.

The trouble is, neither does anything else. I have used a variety:
<interface>, <guimenuitem>, and <guilabel>. Dave's suggestion ages
back was, "If nothing else fits, use <guilabel>".

Telsa