Quality Indexes

Hello all,

Have any of you noticed that computer generated indexes are really bad?
Some of Microsoft's products (at least older ones) did this, and, for
example, everything ended up under `MS-DOS', and was generally not very
useful. I'm not sure just who does HP printer manuals, but I've heard
that they have everything under `Printer'. How many of you would think
to look under Printer?

I don't think a computer can ever really do as good of a job as a real
person. You can always tell the difference. My suggestion is that we do
indexes manually. It would be more work. A good, easy to use index is
essential for larger documents. I think it would really improve the
overall quality of our documentation. Quality documentation with good
indexes will certainly help "sell" GNOME. (No, I don't mean "sell" as
in just monetarily.)

Kenny