Re: new help browser

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 04:08:29PM -0500 or thereabouts, battery841@mypad.com wrote:
> > Yes and no.  Providing useful "feedback" is enough.  If the wanted doc
> > isn't installed the help system should offer (at least):
> >
> >     +--------------------------------------------+
> >     |                                            |
> >     | You asked for a document which isn't       |
> >     | available on your local system.            |
> >     |                                            |
> >     | [x] Read the doc your local GNOME help     |
> >     |     server.                                |
> >     | [ ] Read the doc online at www.gnome.org.  |
> >     | [ ] Fetch the sources to install them      |
> >     |     locally.                               |
> >     |                                            |
> >     +--------------------------------------------+
> >     |    < OK >                   < Cancel >     |
> Cute ASCII art.  Not a bad idea either.  But is this going to require root to install a doc?  I think it's a bit overboard to need root access to install a 5kb text file or whatever.  Is there another way to do that?  I can see a ~/.gnome/ddocs/ method, but that will create multiple copies of the file for > 1 user systems.

IMO docs should be installed as root. If it's just a 5k text file, it should
be installed anyway. The only reason I see for not having docs installed is
if they are huge, like Gimp's docs. When gsu works, they will just have to
type in their root password, and viola - the docs are installed properly,
for everyone on the system. Personally, I think it would be confusing to
have Joe user tell it to install the docs, and then wonder why the rest of
his family doesn't have them.

Kenny