RE: indexing

[snip]
> Index (in document) - This is what you always see in the back
> of books. It
> lists a lot of words and concepts in the book and lists the
> relevant page
> numbers.  In DocBook, you do the indexing by hand using <index>,
> <indexterm>, ...  This produces an index at the end of your
> document, as
> you would find in a book.  The main work here is having
> somebody who knows
> how to index (which is an art unto itself) go through and put in the
> indexing tags.  Right now, I don't think any of our documents have
> indexing.  We have been fortunate to have a few indexers join
> the GDP in
> the last couple days, so we should start seeing indexes
> appear in some of
> our documents soon.

And if any of the people who volunteered or know anything about this would
care to step forward and point me to some documentation on indexing, I'd be
most appreciative.  I've not been able to find anything good, and I've
noticed that the docs that the LDP has which do have some index markup
(something like 4 of them), aren't really well done.  Thanks,
	Greg