Re: indexing

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 11:38:40PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:

> Index (in document) - This is what you always see in the back of books. It
> lists a lot of words and concepts in the book and lists the relevant page
> numbers.  In DocBook, you do the indexing by hand using <index>,
> <indexterm>, ...  This produces an index at the end of your document, as
> you would find in a book.  The main work here is having somebody who knows
> how to index (which is an art unto itself) go through and put in the
> indexing tags.

Does this mean that once we manually mark up our documents with
<indexterm> etc tags, the help browser automatically gins up an index
in the back of our "book" based on our index tagging? This does not
seem to occur with the current tools we're using. Will it with the
new help system?

> Glossary (in document) - This is essentially a dictionary covering words
> in the document.  In DocBook, it is done using <glossary>, <glossterm>,
> etc.  I believe this typically produces a glossary section at the end of
> the document next to the index, similar to many books.  I think we will
> have a single big super-glossary which all applications can share.

Again, will the full-sized glossary be assembled from glossary markup
in individual documents? Or is manual assembly required?

(Some of this might be clearer if I could get nautilus compiled. Guess that's
why I'm a writer and not a hacker... :)
Cheers,
--
John Fleck