Re: indexing

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 11:12:11PM +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:
> is what I see in the docs:
>
> 1) Index - i.e. Table of Contents thing
>
> 2) Glossary - List of terms (for easy searching of the docs).
Okay.  Here are the terms which I have been taught in school, and what most
publishers follow.

Index - A giant reference of terms and subjects in that particular book or
manual which have page numbers by them, showing where the topic's information
is located

Glossary - Similar to an index, but instead of a page number, it has a
definition.

Table of Contents - The TOC shows the chapter and sub-chapter structure.  This
belongs at the very beginning.  It also has page numbers on where to go for that
chapter or sub-chapter.

I hope this helps.  Remember, I learned this in school, so it maybe incorrect,
and this is based on my own definintions on each thing.
Kevin
--
gpg key: http://www.crosswinds.net/members/~battery841/kevin_breit.gpg