Re: gtcd

Sorry I should of stated in my orginal message that I was playing Devil's
Advocate. And I'm replying to two messages.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 12:53:29AM -0500, battery841@mypad.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 11:55:04PM -0500, Erik Jarvi wrote:
> > Why use the default gtk theme it looks so ugly?

> Honestly?  I think you summed it right up there, with the word "default".
> First off, microGUI is a very usable and well designed theme (kudos to the
> original author).  The buttons are VERY easy to see what they do.  You can
> load it up and it takes no time to figure out what is going on. It's also the
> default theme.  It's what everyone will see the first time they load sawfish.
> By doing this, you're creating a standard in the documentation graphics that
> everyone will see, virtually guaranteed. Sometimes I've wondered this myself,
> but documentation is supposed to be clear and enjoyable.  I think that the
> GNOME documentation is pretty 'enjoyable' to read (relativly speaking) and is
> VERY clear.  I think by making a pretty theme for screenshots, you're taking
> away from some clarity and not really adding any more enjoyment.  It doesn't
> seem worth it. Kevin

But is microGUI the default sawfish theme on all systems? On my system it isn't,
it's Helix.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 01:33:03AM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:

> We selected to use the theme that the user is most likely to encounter in
> their default configuration. This will cause the least confusion to the
> reader.  If a different Gtk theme becomes the most widely used default
> theme, then we will probably change the screenshots.  This does not seem
> likely however.

I think it's a weak arguement about confusing the user and because it's the
default. IMHO, the graphics should look as "pretty" as possible and functional.

</devilsadvocate>

I think you are right, the defaults should be in the screenshots. I just wish
the defaults looked better. :) I know one of the first things that I do is
change the themes to my desktop on a new system.

Erik

--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.