Re: Hello

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Mcsoccer wrote:

> I was also looking for some help on writing the makefile for the doc dir.
> I'm not sure how to do this and I can't seem to find much help in the
> man/info pages. I'm also not sure if I want to use make to run docbook
> because the current author of the program probably doesn't have docbook.
>
> So any help with the makefile or changes to the sgml  file would be great!

I feel your pain. :)

For the latest GNOME packages, the package maintainers have come up with a
couple of different approaches that you can look at for makefiles.

In each case, however, the person who builds the release package has to
have the docbook tools installed, so the html is built dynamically during
the make step, rather than living statically in cvs. The advantage here is
that when you update the sgml, that's all that is required - you don't
have to rebuild the html each time too.

One example you might look at is Greg McLean's Makefile.am boilerplate for
the gnome-utils package.
see gnome-utils/gdiskfree/doc/C/Makefile.am for an example (it's in gnome
cvs)
I'm told Jacob Berkman's makefiles for the gnome-applets and gnome-core
doc building are also pretty clever - you might have a look at them as
well.
Cheers,
John Fleck