The GNOME Handbook of Writing Software Documentation

This weekend I started the GNOME Handbook of Writing Software
Documentation in CVS at gnome-docu/gdp/gdp-handbook.sgml.  I also put it
on the web at http://www.gnome.org/gdp/gdp-handbook/.

While I have written rough drafts of some sections, other are just a few
comments of what I thought should go in them.  I am not really qualified
to write several sections of the Handbook, and other parts may have to be
decided upon after discussion on this list.  I would like to encourage GDP
members to look at this document and suggest additions/improvements or
make commits directly.

Note that one section, "GDP Documentation Conventions" is meant to hold
all the numerous conventions the GDP decides upon, such as use of section
tags, formatting, use of SGML minimizations, etc. Presumably we can fill
this section in just by going through the mailing list archives.

Comments on other sections:

Appendix A: Examples - I intend this to be filled with examples of each
type of document.

Appendix B: Templates - These are templates for each common type of
document. I believe Sasha plans on writing these.

Appendix C: Commonly Used Tags - Everybody feel free to add things here.

The GNOME Documentation System - dcm - I think you are the only person
qualified to describe this.  I think a lot of us will enjoy reading this
when you are done.  I, for one, am still pretty confused about how this
works.

Installing and Using DocBook - I think blah plans on writing the remaining
portions of this.

Basics of Documentation Style - Any good writers among us who can tell us
all how to be good writers?

Telsa will be adding a section explaining how to write good DocBook.

Note I merged parts of the HOWTO into the Handbook, but not all of it yet.

All feedback is welcome:)

Dan