Re: Navigation Links

* Gregory Leblanc (GLeblanc@cu-portland.edu) wrote at 22:23 on 30/08/00:
> [...]

Multiple pages

> If a single page, next/home/prev are either mostly useless, or quite
> complex.
> If multiple pages, what is being used as the break between pages?  If sect1
> is being used as the break, then next/prev should go to the next sect1.  If
> sect3 is being used as the break, then next/prev should go to the next
> sect3, unless there is none, and then it should go to the next sect2, unless
> there is none, and then it should go to the next sect1.  Clearly, the last
> section in the document should not have a next.  The first section MIGHT
> have a previous, assuming that the TOC comes before the first section.

Well - we split on any sect id specified at the command line - so if you
specify a sect1 id on the command line it will show the entire sect1
(including all sect2's, sect3's, etc.) - if you specify a sect3 id on the
command line it will only show that sect3 id (and any sect4/sect5 id's
underneath it).

Well the first section does not have a 'Previous' link perhaps it should (but
it would be an identical link to 'Home').

> > I don't know this doesn't seem right. A possible fix is to
> > not make links in
> > the Table of Contents to sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5 tags (it is
> > still possible to
> > go to them (from the command line) but no links are generated
> > and newbies
> > won't be confused?
>
> I think that we should make the sections in the TOC links, this makes
> navigation using the TOC useful.  If we remove those links, we might as well
> just give them printed copies of the documentation, a major piece of
> electronic functionality is missing.

I am not saying remove the _ALL_ the links - I am saying just have the sect1
items int he TOC be the links (currently we make sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5 stuff
also in the links).

The TOC is not the same as the jade TOC - maybe that is what is confusing.
Perhaps you need to look at the gnome-db2html2 TOC :)

Regards,
Ali