RE: Navigation Links

Cool!

> There are some 'caveats' to this:
[snip]
> 2) There are some 'issues' with it. It works fine fromt he
> table of contents,
> but when you 'click' on a section of the table of contents it
> will only show
> up if it is a sect1 id.

Is the SGML being rendered into multiple pages, or into a single page?
If a single page, next/home/prev are either mostly useless, or quite
complex.
If multiple pages, what is being used as the break between pages?  If sect1
is being used as the break, then next/prev should go to the next sect1.  If
sect3 is being used as the break, then next/prev should go to the next
sect3, unless there is none, and then it should go to the next sect2, unless
there is none, and then it should go to the next sect1.  Clearly, the last
section in the document should not have a next.  The first section MIGHT
have a previous, assuming that the TOC comes before the first section.

> I don't know this doesn't seem right. A possible fix is to
> not make links in
> the Table of Contents to sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5 tags (it is
> still possible to
> go to them (from the command line) but no links are generated
> and newbies
> won't be confused?

I think that we should make the sections in the TOC links, this makes
navigation using the TOC useful.  If we remove those links, we might as well
just give them printed copies of the documentation, a major piece of
electronic functionality is missing.  Later,
	Greg

P.S.  Yeah, I'm cvs'ing nautilus so that I can take a look...