Navigation Links

I've just finished writing a first cut at navigation links (Next/Home/Prev)

There are some 'caveats' to this:
1) there is no support whatsoever for book's (we need to be able to handle
books first) - book's may want to install the HTML files for the time being

2) There are some 'issues' with it. It works fine fromt he table of contents,
but when you 'click' on a section of the table of contents it will only show
up if it is a sect1 id.

The thing is - if you click on a sect1 id the next link will to the next
/sect1/ id and the prev link will be to the previous /sect1/ id. So what
should happen if the person clicks on a link to a sect2, sect3, sect4, or
sect5 link from the table of contents (right now, no navigation links are
printed) - should we link to the next sect1 id? should we link to the next
sect id (regardless of what number it is)? should we just not print navigation
links?

Some of you may suggest just link to the next/prev sect id as in the table of
contents (i.e. ignore the number of a sectid) - but say you have something
like:

<sect1 id="1">
   <sect2 id="2">
      <sect3 id="3">
      </sect3>
      <sect3 id="3-1">
      </sect3>
    </sect2>
   <sect2 id="2-1">
   </sect2>
</sect1>

You click on the '3' from the table of contents, you click prev you get '2'
from the table of contents ('2' will print out both 3 and 3-1!). You
click 'Prev' again and '1' will print out both '2' and '2-1'.

I don't know this doesn't seem right. A possible fix is to not make links in
the Table of Contents to sect2/sect3/sect4/sect5 tags (it is still possible to
go to them (from the command line) but no links are generated and newbies
won't be confused?

Suggestions? Comments?

Regards,
Ali