Re: entities in Nautilus (was Re: reduce redundancy?)

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 12:22:02AM +0300, Ali Abdin wrote:
> * John Fleck (jfleck@inkstain.net) wrote at 00:19 on 21/08/00:
> > On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 05:52:39PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> >

> > > OTOH, the browser doesn't have to work with the raw SGML/XML files
> > > coming from the author.  We should install normalized SGML/XML files
> > > with entities resolved (`sgmlnorm' and/or `sx').
> > >

> Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm - Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of having
> 'gnome-db2html2' in the first place. Now instead of using 'jade' we use
> 'sgmlnorm' or 'sx'. Yes, its probably faster - but the whole goal was to
> eliminate the 'compile' step of the docs (wasn't it?)
>
> The proper approach is to handle entities in gnome-db2html2. Unfortunately,
> this aspect of the code I do not understand. DV told me he'd look into it, but
> apparently he hasn't :(

Ali is right. The more I think about this, the less I like it. :(

Using sx or sgmlnorm might work, but it would involve essentially
keeping two sets of docs - the writer's original, using entities, and
the final distribution version, which has been normalized to remove
the entities. This seems like a huge headache.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck@inkstain.net (h)