Re: Quick Help

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 11:39:58AM -0500 or thereabouts, Dan Mueth wrote:

[53 lines snipped]

This sounds great.

Most people really don't like to read a whole manual to find the info they're
looking for. I've been there, I want to do a seemingly simple task and I find
a manual that tells me to read at least 40 other manuals. A bit extreme, but
I think it shows a point. There have been countless times when I could have
used this; I'm sure many other people would find it very useful. I haven't
actually seen this on 'NIX before...I think it would significantly advance
usability.

This could also work great for say, gnome-utils. Things like formatting
a floppy, or looking up a file in a dictionary, etc. don't really need their
own whole manual most of the time, a user would be better off with system-wide
help, with an index entry along the lines of: "To format a floppy, right click
on the floppy icon and select 'Format', then ...". Sure, a manual would still
be useful for more odd cases (perhaps less common errors)...

Just my thoughts...

Kenny