Re: Quick Help

I strongly support the 'Quick Help' idea.  Funnily enough, a similar idea
prompted my interest in the GDP (by way of Nautilus).  While this may take a
while to get implemented, I think 'Quick Help' is an indispensible feature,
for these reasons:

1. 'Quick Help' will help new users (especially those used to MS Windows)
become more comfortable with their system.  This will make it much easier
for Windows faithful to make the jump to Linux.  It will also lessen the
learning curve for newbies and further promote Linux adoption.

2. A 'Quick Help' system is a perfect complement to the current sgml help
system (with it's guides, manuals, info pages, etc.)  Quick Help would
provide the accessible, detailed info someone needs right away, w/out making
the user dig around for it.

3. This is just a really good idea and will enhance usability. :)

I think a system-wide help index (for common help info), and
application-based 'Quick Help' menus would be great.  I think John has said
it well:

>I'd like there to be a
>
>c) look it up in an index of all the help on my machine, and find the
>kind of quick, task-oriented help Dan is talking about along with a >link
>to the full applet/application documentation.

I know this means a lot more work on the GDP, but it'd be great to get this
into gnome.  I'll gladly volunteer to help work on this if it moves forward.

-- Jon Allen
joncallen@hotmail.com