Re: CVS, templates, and changes to docs

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 02:47:15PM -0500, Eric Baudais wrote:
[snip]

> I also don't think the templates should be the final word on what to
> include a document either.  If a writer wants to put a little history of
> the app/applet in the intro or a short story or something else I'm all for
> it.  It's those things that make the documentation more than just
> something you read to figure out what the program does.
[snip]

> If these so called conventions exist, I think they should first be listed
> and then agreed upon to follow them.  The only conventions a writer should
> follow are those set in the Handbook.  I disagree with Dan that the writer
> should not change "About" to "Info," if they so please.  The only
> conventions that should be followed are those that we (GDP) have agreed to
> follow after much discussion.  Then they should be included in the
> Handbook.

I quite agree. Let us make some list of what we want to standardize,
give a week for discussions, vote, and then, if we have some kind of
agreement, add it to the "conventions" section of handbook. Or if the
vote is not clear, we may decide that it better be left to the
individual authors.

And regardless of this, I think that Dave and Telsa are right: except
for trivial typos, it is not a good idea to change someone else's docs
in CVS without his/her permission.

So here are some things which come to my mind:

- licenses: FDL for docs, and software license section (GPL), and the
  trademark blurb as suggested by Dave - I believe, this is mostly
  agreed

- markup: whether to use <itemizedlist> or <variablelist> or something
  else?

- mouse: left/right or 1,2,3?

- application names: I'd suggest using the name of an application as it
  appears in menu (e.g. GNOME Font Selector) rather than binary name
  (gfontsel) in all documentation

- proper capitalization and tags for Panel, Applet, etc

Who would volunteer to make a full list and organize a vote?

Sasha