Re: my first valid document

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Aaron Weber wrote:

> I apologize if this is a re-post.
>
> I humbly ask you to point your browsers to
> http://primates.helixcode.com/~aaron/
>
> notes--- there's a lot of other stuff wrong with it.  please point it
> out to me, as i'm apt to ignore it.  I do know that the version numbers
> are wrong and i've no screenshots yet.

Here are some more comments on GTimeTracker documentation.

1) In "The Toolbar" section you say, "Each icon in it is a shortcut to one
of the menu functions. "  It might flow better if you replace "it" with
"the toolbar."

2) In "The Toolbar" section you probably want to define the exact mark
you want for the itemized list, instead of using the default, with
"mark=`opencircle'."  This should be carried out in all itemized lists.
Also, it might be better if you use a long dash and
eliminate ", which" in each explanation so it looks like:

Project</interface>dialog.

3) In "The Toolbar" section in the second sentence of the second paragraph
"however" is misspelled and not capitalized while "if" is capitalized.
Also in the same sentence you have two dashes.  You should put the entity
"&mdash;" instead of two dashes.  I don't think you should have two dashes
though.  Instead it would be better to replace the dashes with commas.

4) In the same sentence as #3 you should remove the comma after "tool
tip."

5) In "The Toolbar" section in the first sentence of the second paragraph
you make a reference to the "Preferences dialog."  I think you should have
a link here to the section explaining that particular dialog.

6) In the "What is a Project?" section in the itemized list you have an
emphasis tag on two of the four items and one of them are capitalized.
You should either have an emphasis tag on each list item or no emphasis
tags.  The same thing goes for capitalization.

7) In "The State of a Project" section you don't need a comma in the
second paragraph.

8) In "The State of a Project" section you need a comma after "for
example" in the last paragraph.

9) In the "Working with the Project List" section in the first paragraph
you say, "It shows what projects are in the list and which project
currently s selected."  The verb "is" should be changed to "are."

10) In the "Working with the Project List", the last paragraph makes a
reference to the "Edit menu."  I think you should have a link to the
explanation of the edit menu there.

11) In "The Properties Dialog" section I would recommend placing a
"&mdash" between the title of each list item and its description.

12) In "The New Project Dialog" section I don't think there needs to a
comma in the third sentence. In the next sentence "or" is not needed and
should be taken out.

13) In the "Other Settings" section in "Shell Commands" you use the
<userinput> tag for the command which is very generic.  You should use a
line like this:

Also there is no colon after "No Project Command." There needs to be one
there because there is a colon after "Switch Project Command."

14) In the "Other Settings" section in "Logfile Preferences" you
capitalize "checkbox."  It shouldn't be capitalized because you don't
capitalize dialog, just its title.

15) In the "Other Settings" section in "Entry Start" you say, "It can
include the same variables the <guilabel>Entry Stop</guilabel> can."  The
article "the" should be changed to "that."  I also think there should be a
link to the "Entry Stop" item to show the use where you are refering to.

16) In the "Other Settings" section you don't have some punctuation after
each <guilabel>, but you do after every other list.  I think, for
consistency, you should either add a "&mdash;" or a colon.

17) In the "Other Settings" section the word "deselcet" is misspelled in
the tip at the end of the section.

I hope these comments are useful.

Best Regards,
Eric Baudais