Re: Translate gnome users guide

On 7 Apr 2000, Hans Davidsson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to translate gnome users guide to my native language
> (swedish). http://developer.gnome.org/arch/translate/ recommended me
> to mail this address. Please give me some advice how to proceed.
>
> Thanks,
> Hans

Hans,

The GNOME Users Guide is currently being rebuilt for the GNOME 1.2 release
which is coming up.  Unfortunately, the person who is in charge of doing
this (David  Mason <dcm@redhat.com>) is sick and has been a little hard to
reach the last few days.

However, the new GNOME Users Guide will largely be built by merging
several external pieces.  These primarily consist of (1) the
Control-Center docs, (2) the Panel docs, and (3) the applet docs.
I believe the control center docs will be very much like the version in
October GNOME.  The Panel docs have recently been rewritten and can be
obtained from cvs at gnome-core/panel/docs/C.  The applets are mostly
documented, but require a fair amount of editing still.  They are in CVS
at gnome-applets.

I would recommend starting with translating the Panel docs.  This is a
fairly large part of the Users Guide and should be moved into the Users
Guide with very little modifications.

I believe Anders Carlsson <anders.carlsson@tordata.se> is also doing
Swedish translations. You may want to check out
http://wlug.westbo.se/gnome/ and
http://developer.gnome.org/arch/translate/ and
http://www.gnome.org/gdp/translate-gnome/
and the #i18n IRC channel at irc.gnome.org.