Re: Build break :: No documentation for template mode l10n.format.mode

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 23:30 +0100, Don Scorgie wrote:
> Hi
> (ccing shaunm so he sees it.  Hopefully.)
>
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:06 +0530, Srinidhi B S wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > When building gnome-doc-utils from trunk, I'm getting the following error:
> >
> > db2html-bibliography: No documentation for template mode l10n.format.mode
> > make[2]: *** [C/db2html-bibliography.xml] Error 10
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/srinidhi/gnome2/gnome-doc-utils/doc/xslt'
> > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/srinidhi/gnome2/gnome-doc-utils/doc'
> > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> >
> > I couldn't find that file by doing "svn ls doc/xslt", so probably that
> > file got missed out in SVN.
>
> The file is actually there (in <root>/xslt/docbook/html).  I've checked
> in a fix for this, but the build is breaking in a different place (the
> xsldoc checks).

Actually, the correct fix is to use an "ignore" directive on
l10n.format.mode in db2html-bibliography, rather than adding
documentation.  That mode is documented elsewhere.  The whole
documentation checks system is a bit ad-hoc and could use
improvement, but it has already prevented real mistakes.

> shaunm:
> It looks like db-common.xsl needs to include / import gettext.xsl:
>
> The stylesheet db-common calls an undefined template l10n.gettext
>
> Working around that (by commenting calls to l10n.gettext out) results
> in:
>
> The stylesheet db2html-bibliography calls an undefined template
> db.personname.list
>
> Sorry, it's as far as I can go with it.

None of the XSLT modules should ever include/import any other
modules.  This caused problems before, and also slowed things
down.  Only the top-level XSLT files should do includes, and
they need to include everything that's required by anything
else they import.  (I should write a check for that.)  To
specify which other modules need to be included by the
top-level XSLT file, I use the ":Requires:" metadata key.

All fixed now.  I should really train myself to always run
the checks before committing stylesheet changes.

--
Shaun