Help with integrating Gnome docs into Ubuntu

Hi there,

To: Gnome doc lists
Cc: Ubuntu Gnome maintainers, Ubuntu doc list

I'm looking for some advice.

In Ubuntu, during the last release we incorporated the Gnome user guide
into the structure of our documentation. This has the advantage that we
don't have to worry about recreating the wheel and can use the excellent
material from upstream.

The basic problem we are having though is that Ubuntu customises quite a
lot of Gnome, and as a result the Gnome documentation is wrong, and we
need to correct it. An example is the layout of the System menu, which
in Ubuntu does not contain the screenshot/lockscreen buttons, but which
are part of vanilla Gnome and therefore documented in the Gnome user guide.

The two possible ways of correcting these are:

1. Creating patches on the Gnome documentation in the Ubuntu packages of
gnome-user-docs.
2. Creating a separate tree with a copy of the Gnome documentation (to
be updated from time to time) and shipping it separately in a new
package, or with the Ubuntu-specific documentation.

Both of these strike me as being quite difficult to maintain. I've never
tried to maintain patches on documentation before but I bet it's pretty
difficult.

Read more about the problem here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2007-June/008624.html

I'd very much appreciate your advice.