Re: Rarian and Yelp

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 18:53 +0100, Don Scorgie wrote:

> > Yes, this appears to be working fine.  What happens is rarian goes
> > through each of the omf subdirectories, and adds an entry with a ghelp
> > name of the subdirectory name (dp->d_name).  So, if my omf subdirectory
> > contains:
> >
> > eog     gnome-terminal
> >
> > I get two rarian doc entries with ghelp names of "eog" and "gnome-termial".
>
> So, rarian-example prints out the entries properly?  Or are you watching
> the list get built in Rarian itself? [1]

I hacked rarian to print out a line for every .omf file it found and its
associated ghelp name.

> > I've done some more research here, and I found that when I launch yelp
> > via another app (e.g. eog) it is passed a ghelp URI in the format (via
> > libgnome):
> >
> > ghelp:///usr/local/share/gnome/help/eog/C/eog.xml
> >
> > Yelp breaks this down to "///usr/local/share/gnome/help/eog/C/eog.xml"
> > and passes that to rarian.  Rarian fails to find any documents since all
> > of its ghelp names are just the appid.
> >
> > Since our libgnome is fairly stock, I'm really not sure how this mapping
> > works successfully on Linux.
>
> Okay, that's a failure of the new resolver.  It should check the ghelp
> uri to see if it's a full path before invoking rarian.  I'll fix that
> soon.

Excellent!  Thanks.

> Note: The resolver stuff had to be rewritten due to the move to Rarian.
> This removed the libgnome stuff from there.  I thought I'd caught all
> the cases, but apparently not :(
>

> > So, I tried launching:
> >
> > yelp ghelp:eog
> >
> > This "works," but all I see is the section headers from the doc (i.e. no
> > contents), and I see the following on the console:
> >
> > xmlXPathCompOpEval: function has-same-node not found
> > XPath error : Unregistered function
> > xmlXPathCompiledEval: 3 objects left on the stack.
> > runtime error: file
> > /usr/local/share/xml/gnome/xslt/docbook/html/db2html-division.xsl line
> > 317 element apply-templates
> > Failed to evaluate the 'select' expression.
> > xmlXPathCompOpEval: function has-same-node not found
> > XPath error : Unregistered function
> > xmlXPathCompiledEval: 3 objects left on the stack.
> > runtime error: file
> > /usr/local/share/xml/gnome/xslt/docbook/html/db2html-division.xsl line
> > 317 element apply-templates
> > Failed to evaluate the 'select' expression.
> >
> > It appears the new g-d-u uses the EXSLT sets extension, but I don't see
> > where it actually loads the stylesheet with the function definitions.  I
> > looked at the GARNOME distribution, but it doesn't appear to be
> > including the EXSLT libraries either.
>
> Yes, I blame shaunm for that one ;)  Changes in g-d-u didn't quite
> propagate into yelp successfully.  This one is fixed in SVN Head now.

Great!  I'll check it out.

> Thanks
> Don
>
> [1] I just had an idea of why yelp isn't finding the documents in categories.
> I think it's the ridiculousness of scrollkeeper and it's |'s that it uses to
> separate categories and subcategories.  Once I have a working system, I'll
> be able to check this.  I suspect the reason I haven't been able to reproduce
> is that I've already converted all the docs to .document files.

I'll look forward to an update.  I'll also file a bug with my FreeBSD
port fixes  Thanks for your help.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome FreeBSD org