Re: Rarian and Yelp

Don Scorgie wrote:

> /usr/local/share/help/LOCALE/C is one of the places searched by Rarian.
> The general way it's done is:
> if XDG_DATA_DIRS is set:
> for (x = each dir) in XDG_DATA_DIRS:
> 	process `ls x/help/LOCALE/<current lang value>/*`
> 	process `ls x/help/* (excluding LOCALE)`
> if XDG_DATA_DIRS is not set:
> 	use default of /usr/share:/usr/local/share and process as above.
>
> So all you're seeing above is a residue of that.
>
> (FWIW, the reason the LOCALE stuff is checked is for distros wanting to
> distribute language packs)

Yes, I see that now.  I sent out another email to g-d-d-l last night,
but it was moderated.  I'll summarize things for you here.

> Indeed.

Yes, this appears to be working fine.  What happens is rarian goes
through each of the omf subdirectories, and adds an entry with a ghelp
name of the subdirectory name (dp->d_name).  So, if my omf subdirectory
contains:

eog     gnome-terminal

I get two rarian doc entries with ghelp names of "eog" and "gnome-termial".

>>> - yelp doesn't know how to generate the help index anymore, viewing
>>> normal help files is fine though.
>>> IMHO these things should be working before rarian is used as default
>>> documentation system in GNOME. We're still in the early development
>>> process now, so there's time to fix these things.
>>> I'll file some bugs with more information in the weekend so people can
>>> work on it.
>
> The only defence here is "It works on my machine".  I have noticed some
> other problems at various other points though.  Right now, I'm trying to
> rebuild my development environment (which is fun in itself).  Once
> that's done ...

When I launch yelp by itself, I get a list of documentation categories,
but whenever I click on one of them, it says, "No documents or
subcategories found."  This used to work with SK.  What should be
happening here such that documents will get listed?

>> I can't do anything with yelp+rarian.  Trying to view help files from
>> standalone Yelp yields "No documents or subcategories found."  Trying to
>> start Yelp from an app like gnome-terminal or eog throws a "URI is
>> invalid" error.
>
> Again, that's something I can't reproduce.  Could you please file a bug?

I've done some more research here, and I found that when I launch yelp
via another app (e.g. eog) it is passed a ghelp URI in the format (via
libgnome):

ghelp:///usr/local/share/gnome/help/eog/C/eog.xml

Yelp breaks this down to "///usr/local/share/gnome/help/eog/C/eog.xml"
and passes that to rarian.  Rarian fails to find any documents since all
of its ghelp names are just the appid.

Since our libgnome is fairly stock, I'm really not sure how this mapping
works successfully on Linux.

So, I tried launching:

yelp ghelp:eog

This "works," but all I see is the section headers from the doc (i.e. no
contents), and I see the following on the console:

xmlXPathCompOpEval: function has-same-node not found
XPath error : Unregistered function
xmlXPathCompiledEval: 3 objects left on the stack.
runtime error: file
/usr/local/share/xml/gnome/xslt/docbook/html/db2html-division.xsl line
317 element apply-templates
Failed to evaluate the 'select' expression.
xmlXPathCompOpEval: function has-same-node not found
XPath error : Unregistered function
xmlXPathCompiledEval: 3 objects left on the stack.
runtime error: file
/usr/local/share/xml/gnome/xslt/docbook/html/db2html-division.xsl line
317 element apply-templates
Failed to evaluate the 'select' expression.

It appears the new g-d-u uses the EXSLT sets extension, but I don't see
where it actually loads the stylesheet with the function definitions.  I
looked at the GARNOME distribution, but it doesn't appear to be
including the EXSLT libraries either.

Any clue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Joe

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome FreeBSD org