Re: Docs packaging and Yelp

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:31 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > I know how Ubuntu changed Yelp.  And my understanding is that
> > Fedora is just putting General|Linux|Distributions|Other on the
> > front page.  I assume this was done by changing scrollkeeper.xml
> > slightly.  Could somebody send me the patch?  With a clear idea
> > of how both Ubuntu and Fedora have done this, we should be able
> > to produce a better upstream method in 2.14 or 2.16.
> >
> > // Shaun
>
> Shaun, I looked at the Ubuntu patch for inspiration when working on
> this, and I believe we are doing essentially the same as they do.
>
> I'll attach our patch FYI.

CCing gnome-doc-devel-list gnome org

Ah hah.  IIRC, that's exactly what Ubuntu does.  The reason
I didn't just make G|L|D|Other always top-level is that it
seems wrong for those distros that are in ScrollKeeper's
(very out-of-date) list.  I suppose I could put all of the
G|L|D|* categories at the top and just assume most normal
people don't have the distro docs for more than one distro
installed.  But then that screws the BSDs, Solaris, etc.

So currently we have the Other page, which catches all
the SK categories under General|* and System|*.  What if
I put all of System|* in System, put General|Licenses in
Licenses, and put everything else under General|* on the
front page?

A quick grep on my system (FC4 + some rawhide, no fancy
distro docs packages installed) shows the only General|*
category used is General|Licenses, and that's only used
by the GPL, LGPL, and FDL license texts installed by Gnome.

The ScrollKeeper categories aren't optimal, and we're not
going to get a really nice solution until we can replace
the help system (and share the new system with KDE, if all
goes right).  For the time being, though, we can at least
manage to share the same dirty hacks.

// Shaun