Re: [RFC] Proposal for GtkSourceView 3.24, 3.50 and 3.90

On 2016-11-02 04:53 AM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 07:57:47PM -0700, Matthew Brush wrote:
Do you have any recommendations for applications wanting to support a range
of GSV versions from before and after the rename?

[...]

If you want to write new code in 2016 and still want to run that code on
an LTS distro from 2014, then use only APIs that are available in the
GTK+ and GtkSourceView versions from 2014. GtkSourceView has kept a good
backward-compatibility. GTK+ less so (for the CSS etc). So while it can
make sense to write conditional code depending on the GTK+ version to
make the app work with different versions of GTK+, it doesn't make sense
for GtkSourceView, in my opinion.

It's nice to support a range of versions so that people with older distros can use a new version, and people with newer distros can use new features, etc. Generally it's easy enough, like say supporting GTK 2 and 3, where most of the stuff is the same or still works. This is also useful for supporting other platforms like Windows where you're stuck with whatever bundled versions you can find or whatever's packaged in msys.

Renaming every symbol makes things a bit more challenging though, not that I think it's a bad idea.

[...]

I guess making a header
with a bunch of #defines mapping to the old names would work, but perhaps
there's something less tedious I missed, or some compatibility path planned?

A header with a bunch of #defines could be written, if it is really
useful for some applications, why not. But I'm not going to write it :-)
I don't need it, and I don't see why it would be useful. But
contribution welcome.

I will probably go this route if the need arises. Are you planning to use a script to automate the renaming of symbols? If so, that might be useful for generating such a header.

Thanks for the response.

Regards,
Matthew Brush