Re: [RFC] Proposal for GtkSourceView 3.24, 3.50 and 3.90

On 2016-11-01 04:43 AM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 01:55:58PM +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
I've updated the wiki page with that proposal (Proposal 2) and added a
third proposal, a mix of Proposal 1 and 2:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GtkSourceView/TransitionToGtkSourceView4

And I've now added a fourth proposal, in my opinion more logical: just
bump the major version since there is an API break (and a major one).

GtkSourceView based on GTK+ 4.0 (stable) will happen only in 2 or 3
years. Changing the GtkSourceView namespace will happen this development
cycle. So it would be great if existing applications are able to use the
new namespace while still using GTK+ 3. It would be one less thing to
care about when porting an application to GTK+ 4.0. Also, between March
2017 and GTK+ 4.0, new apps or new libraries can be developed, depending
on GtkSourceView. So when writing that new code, it would be better to
use the new namespace.

Hi,

Do you have any recommendations for applications wanting to support a range of GSV versions from before and after the rename? I guess making a header with a bunch of #defines mapping to the old names would work, but perhaps there's something less tedious I missed, or some compatibility path planned?

Regards,
Matthew Brush