Re: DevHelp: docset bundles support

Hey!

There is a feature request on launchpad
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/devhelp/+bug/1242467

I think it's a really good idea. I've implemented some basic docset bundles
support, played with it on my local machine for a week, and found it
extremely useful. So I've submitted a pull request to the DevHelp repository
on GitHub:
https://github.com/GNOME/devhelp/pull/2
But the repository looks like a mirror of the gnome repo and is not actively
used.

So what is the right way to contribute patches?

Bugzilla! :)

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=devhelp

In addition, I used my own FOSS library to implement the feature
(https://github.com/roman-kashitsyn/libdocset). And now I'm in doubts
regarding the best way to join the library and the DevHelp together. Should
I create a PPA and distribute the library through it? I'm a newbie in the
Debian package distribution and appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

Interestingly, I already talked to the Dash developer last week about
something related. The idea is that Devhelp could have a set of
'external sources', of which one could be the ones exposed by Dash at
http://kapeli.com/dash. Now, the idea was not to include docset
support in Devhelp, but instead expose all the Dash docsets as
docbooks that Devhelp can consume. In addition to that, another
'external source' could be a bundle of documentation built for each
new GNOME release, so that the user can then choose which set of
documentation to be managed by Devhelp at a given time (kind of
profiles). So you could have a 'local' profile for the docbooks in
your system (i.e. API of the libraries that you have installed) plus
different profiles for e.g. "GNOME 3.10" and "GNOME 3.12". Plus
another e.g. "Dash" profile if you configure the Dash docbooks as
external sources.

Wanted to ask, because I don't know much about docsets, where else are
docsets used, apart from e.g. Dash?

--
Aleksander