Re: Release status of GtkSourceView 1.1.90 for Debian?

Il giorno sab, 22-01-2005 alle 15:37 +1100, Andrew Lau ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you may or may not know, I'm with the Debian GNOME team and
> maintainer among packages, GtkSourceView. Since Debian is freezing and
> hoping to release the "Sarge" stable distribution "soon" (TM) with GNOME
> 2.8. At this stage, even if we are delayed until March or April, it
> would be doubtful the QA team would let us attempt to push GNOME 2.10
> through our testing branch so close to Debian's release date.
>
> As for GtkSourceView, I know that there'll be no further GNOME 2.8.x
> releases, and that 2.8.2 shipped with 1.1.1 of the library which is
> already in Debian's testing/unstable branches.
>
> So what's the status of 1.1.90? I am somewhat confused as to whether it
> is a development release unsuitable for public consumption (since it's
> in the still a 1.1.x release) or if it is stable enough to be released
> with the rest of GNOME 2.8.2.

Hello Andrew,

    as Paolo Maggi already said, technically 1.1.90 belongs to gnome
2.10, 1.1.1 to gnome 2.8 and we will try to release 1.1.2 which contains
a couple of bug fixes.

However IMHO you could also decide to ship 1.1.90 (and 1.2.0 when it is
released): there are really few changes between 1.1.2 and 1.2.0 and none
of them looks dangerous. gtksourceview 1.2.0 will be totally compatible
with previous releases and doesn't increase the required dependencies so
it will work just fine with gnome 2.8 and in particular with gedit 2.8.

Here is a summary of the differences beteween what will be in 1.2.0 and
1.1.2:

1 - A bunch of new .lang files for syntax highlighting. These are low
risk, the only reason why these are not in 1.1.2 is that they add new
translatable strings, however the translation team will have them
translated by the time 1.2.0 is released. Beside these strings are
rarely seen by the user.

2 - Current line highlighting. This is a new feature, however the code
is simple and we are quite confortable with its stability. Beside it is
off by default and gedit 2.8 obviously doesn't use it, so there should
really be no problem.

3 - A bugfix to the undo manager. This is the only change that it's a
bit more risky since it touches a central part of the code, on the other
hand it is a *bugfix* and it improves the behavior of gedit and of the
others programs that use gtksourceview. I'm confident that if there are
problems with this patch (and I don't think that there are any) they
will be uncovered and fixed by the time 1.2.0 is released, even more so
if it is included in debian testing. This change is not in 1.1.90.

That's it, no other differencies.

>From a packaging point of view the only potential problem is that among
the new .lang files, there is nemerle.lang which some mono package (I
don't remember which one, maybe MonoDevelop) used to distribute and thus
may be conflicting: the sanest thing would be to not include the file in
the mono package and upgrade its required version of gtksourceview, if
that is not possible I guess you can patch out nemerle.lang from the
gtksourceview package.

The decision is up to you, let us know what you decide.

Thanks for taking care of gtksourceview in debian!

Ciao

    Paolo