Re: Scaffold API proposal 0.2

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 05:17, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> > In the Document interface: what's the point of get_editable()?  Am I
> > missing something?
>
> If the document can be edited or if it is read only.

Sorry.  Bad phrasing.  I meant to ask for examples of when it might
actually be used.  It certainly couldn't hurt, but I'm curious.

> > UIDataTarget: This interface seems like overkill.  It seems intended to
> > solve such a small, specific set of problems.  It could be much more
> > cleanly and easily handled by each specific interface/plugin.  My two
> > cents.
>
> Not realy.  The problem extend to other plugins which may have small
> scopes but in the presence of other plugins their functionality is
> expanded in ways the origonal developer did not think of.  For instance
> the code editor has no concept of breakpoints but a dubuger needs to
> visualy show them.  It can get a path to the editor's sidebar and
> implement breakpoints.  Yes this can also be put into the editors code
> but in reality the editor should have not knowledge of breakpoints.  I'm
> not sure I like the interface as it is right now but I haven't had time
> to read it in depth.  The idea is sound however.

That makes sense, but wouldn't the plugin writer have to place
UIDataTargets into their interface in the first place?

> >  - /Documents
> >  - Text documents collection (each child of this node implements the
> >  - TextDocument interface)
> > TextDocuments?  Not the Document interface?
>
> TextDocument would be a child of the Document interface.  Documents
> would be a collection of document interfaces I belive.  There are other
> such documents such as a GladeDocument for widget canvases.

I understand.  It's just an error in the proposal.  "...each child of
this node implements the Document interface."

> > Will there be anything analogous to workspaces or "solutions" consisting
> > of multiple projects?  Will multiple projects be able to be opened
> > simultaneously?
>
> I don't see why so much.  You can open up two or more instances of
> Scaffold and with sessions opening up a project should bring you to
> where you left off when you closed it.  Since loading a project is
> fairly quick you could just use the recent menu to switch between
> projects.  Is there a reason why you would want this functionality?

Nested projects and common projects.  An IDE is supposed to make the
coding process faster and more efficient - I don't want to spend my time
having two Scaffold processes running or closing and opening other
projects when I'm working on, say... Scaffold and libscaffold at the
same time.