Re: Scaffold API proposal 0.2

Hi Samuel,

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 23:22, Samuel Kaufman wrote:
> Great work so far.  :-)
>
> It's a long, hopefully coherent email.
>
> In the FileOpen service: how will register_file_handler() work if
> something else has already registered as a handler for that mime-type?
> Perhaps registering them all and presenting a dialog box asking the user
> which to use?  A priority value might be handy for determining default
> handlers.
>
> In the Document interface: what's the point of get_editable()?  Am I
> missing something?

If the document can be edited or if it is read only.

> present_widget(): Seems like a good idea to let the plugin determine if
> the dialog should open.  (gboolean open_dialog)   The plugin author will
> be the one imagining how it's being presented to the user for each
> specific case, so why not give him/her the control?
> What about "void open_preferences_dialog()"?
>
> UIDataTarget: This interface seems like overkill.  It seems intended to
> solve such a small, specific set of problems.  It could be much more
> cleanly and easily handled by each specific interface/plugin.  My two
> cents.

Not realy.  The problem extend to other plugins which may have small
scopes but in the presence of other plugins their functionality is
expanded in ways the origonal developer did not think of.  For instance
the code editor has no concept of breakpoints but a dubuger needs to
visualy show them.  It can get a path to the editor's sidebar and
implement breakpoints.  Yes this can also be put into the editors code
but in reality the editor should have not knowledge of breakpoints.  I'm
not sure I like the interface as it is right now but I haven't had time
to read it in depth.  The idea is sound however.

>  - /Documents
>  - Text documents collection (each child of this node implements the
>  - TextDocument interface)
> TextDocuments?  Not the Document interface?

TextDocument would be a child of the Document interface.  Documents
would be a collection of document interfaces I belive.  There are other
such documents such as a GladeDocument for widget canvases.

> Will there be anything analogous to workspaces or "solutions" consisting
> of multiple projects?  Will multiple projects be able to be opened
> simultaneously?

I don't see why so much.  You can open up two or more instances of
Scaffold and with sessions opening up a project should bring you to
where you left off when you closed it.  Since loading a project is
fairly quick you could just use the recent menu to switch between
projects.  Is there a reason why you would want this functionality?

--
J5