Re: Scaffold: Code Automation Paper (e.g. What I wish to implement)

Hey Steven,

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 16:38, Mikoyan wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 20:46, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > The first draft of my paper and design of Active Code Generation and
> > Automation in Scaffold is up on my site.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I'm a student Computer Science at the Universtiy of Antwerp (Belgium).
> I'm currently preparing my thesis. Although not all the details of
> my thesis are determined it will be an evalution of GType/GObject
> (I'm alwyas referring to ""Glib-C""/""GObject-C""): Glib-C as an
> Object Orientable alternative to C++/Java/Whatever ...

Cool. I've worked in depth with both C++ and Java but for some reason
realy like Glib-C/GObject-C.  Perhaps it is because you can see all the
guts of the OO framework.

> In here I will probably compare the type and object system to that
> of "traditional" OO languages and also to C++/QtObject. After that
> I will and try to evaluate the Object Orientation power of Glib-C
> by building software engeneering toolsuport for it. Actually, I already
> had chosen Scaffold to integrate some of my prototypes into an IDE.
> (This is basicly what my thesis is all about).

Cool.  My idea is to build OO tool support for many languages without
hiding the details but instead automating them.  It is all about taking
the structure, helping the developer within the framework of the OO
structure while still allowing a level of flexability.

> As you might expect, I'm *very* interested in what you are doing
> and would like to talk more about this subject.

That would be great.  It looks we are thinking on similar pages.

> I must admit I only read your paper very shallow (if that is correct
> english :)), but I was very impatient to reply...

My paper is only very shallow right now ;-)  I wrote it to flesh out my
ideas and get some comments and perhaps help.  Now that I have a
direction to go in I'm going to start coding though I would very much
like to get your input.

--
J5